Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Oh Poor, Poor Me ...

It's been 2 1/2 weeks since my oldest daughter Neva began Grade One. She was so excited her first day that she forgot to say goodbye to us as she ran into the school. It took me a few days to come to terms with that oversight. By Thursday, Neva had brought home the school year’s first cold and shortly thereafter I took up my position in front of the TV moaning about how miserable I feel.

Thinking that it’s important to take an interest in what my kids are doing, I ask Neva everyday what she did at school. Her answer is always the same: "Nothing." But then the other day, I overheard her on the phone telling my mother all the exciting things she’s learning.

So being the clever rabbit that I am, I proposed to Neva that I go in and speak with her teacher and see why it is that she is not teaching my kid anything. Without hesitation, Neva agreed, leaving me eating my words.

All of which has left me wondering if my suffering at the hands of our educational system was only beginning.

Happy sweeping,

Bob Gunther
Webmaster, ContestHound.com

No comments: