Tuesday, April 17, 2007

What Kind of Noise Annoys a Mother?

A noisy noise annoys a Mother!

We live in the main floor of a turn-of-the-century house. Despite all the "stuff" we have occupying space (like furniture and a plethora of kids' toys), the hardwood floors and high ceilings make it somewhat cavernous when listening to the cacophony for which our children are quite often responsible.

The two bedrooms are adjacent to the living and dining rooms, so when the kids go to bed, the television needs to be quiet. Last night, after I'd put him to bed for what I had hoped would be the last time, Milo started yelling for me from his room. I was in the kitchen at the other end of the apartment, and responded to him only once to go to sleep. I figured, since Bob was in the next room watching TV, he could deal with Milo.

"Mom!" he continued to yell, in his big 4 1/2-year-old voice. "MO-OM!"

I stopped doing dishes momentarily and took a deep, cleansing breath. "I will not yell back," I told myself. If anyone was going to get in trouble for waking the girls, it wasn't going to me.

Finally, after several minutes of him calling, Milo appeared in the kitchen, with that contrived sleepy look that kids are so good at.

"Why are you out of bed?" I asked, somewhat testily.

"I can't sleep because of all the noise."

Happy sweeping!

Kathleen Gunther
Editor, ContestHound.com