Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Pretty in Pink ...

We've been having hot, sunny weather here, but I occasionally forget to slather the kids in sunscreen before they go to school in the morning. One particularly hot day last week, I noticed Neva's cheeks looked rather red.

"Oh, Neva," I said, "You've got a sunburn on your face."

She just shrugged, in that 7-year-old way, and said nothing.

Before supper she asked if she could go outside to play.

"Okay, but keep out of the sun," I warned.

She reluctantly admitted she wasn't actually sunburned. "I accidentally got some lipstick on my face and that's why it's so red."

Upon later inspection of her bedroom, I discovered several mangled tubes of lipstick on her dresser.

Ah, yet another milestone.

Happy sweeping!

Kathleen Gunther
Editor, ContestHound.com