Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Fair Trade?

The kids had a great time trick-or-treating last Friday. Part of what made it extra special was going out with their friends. It was fun for me too, because as I was left to organize the get together of the neighbourhood kids and parents, I volunteered all the dads to walk with the kids and invited the moms to have a glass of wine with me! Good times aside, at the end of the day, as always, I was overwhelmed by the indulgence and waste of Halloween candy. My three kids brought home 16 pounds (more than 7kg) of candy! (There's the indulgence.) Who can eat that much sugar?! (Well, the Halloweens I was pregnant with Milo and Willa, I took one for the team and plowed through all the chocolate bars. The things we sacrifice for the betterment of our children.)

So, first off Bob and I remove all contraband: hard candies, lollipops, toffees that get stuck in their teeth and things that are just gross to look at. That all goes in the garbage (there's the waste), but there still remains a copious amount. So a few years ago we adopted a deal our friend makes with her kids. I ask them to get rid of (ie. give to me) half of their loot in exchange for a small toy. In the past, it was like pulling teeth to get them to do it -- perhaps the same teeth that would have been pulled after eating it all? But this year I was really impressed with their will power. Neva, our oldest and usually the hardest sell, was particularly keen.

It had finally occurred to her that, "I got all this for free, but you had to buy the toy!"

Ah-ha! Very astute observation, I agreed.

So, just how long do you think I still have until she realises that the $3 toy I got at a half price sale is worth only a third of the value of the candy she just traded in?

Happy sweeping!

Kathleen Gunther
Editor, ContestHound.com