Wednesday, June 18, 2003

For the Birds ...

Hello Everyone.

The other day as we were outside doing odd jobs in the garden, my 3 1/3-year-old daughter Neva announced to me that she had a new friend. Looking around, I was hard pressed to see anyone besides the two of us but I played along nevertheless.

As it turned out, Neva had found a garden snail, about the size of a 25-cent piece, whom she named Smokey Arthur Stripes. I explained to Neva that the snail needed to have food and shelter to survive. Having finally convinced her that snails don't eat cookies and really wouldn't like to live in the house with us, Neva found a suitable home.

It's dark and cool inside, has good airflow, and with the addition of some vegetable leaves and a few pieces of paper, Stripes the snail is now living a life of luxury in the bird feeder.

Happy sweeping,

Bob Gunther
Webmaster, ContestHound.com