Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Shave and a Haircut ...

As seems to be the norm since school let out 3 weeks ago, I was late getting the kids into bed and I went to check on Milo in the bathroom. The child I had sent to brush his teeth had decided, instead, to shave. He had his "Cars: The Movie" shaving cream all over his cheeks and nose. (This is when, instead of giving him grief about not doing as he was told, I ran to get the camera.) When he had a sufficient amount, he rinsed his hands, picked up his plastic "razor", climbed up on the bench so he could see in the mirror, and began.

He started between his eyebrows and shaved right down over his nose. Next the cheeks, shaving up, down and sideways -- whichever way he could successfully remove the foam. And since shaving his cheeks left foam on his eyelashes, he shaved his eyes. Both of them. Twice. Finally, the upper lip, down over his mouth, chin and throat to finish off.

Once he rinsed his face, splashing water all over the bathroom, he dried his face and put on "man cream", the fresh-smelling aftershave his Dad uses. "How do I smell, Mom?" he asked proudly, letting me nuzzle up against his still-baby-soft skin.

And, thus, we have reached yet another milestone in the life of Milo, the six-year-old. One I didn't realize would have as much an effect on me as I figured it would on Bob. I just hope, as the years go on and he's using real blades in his razor, he'll still ask me every once in a while, "How do I smell, Mom?"

Happy sweeping!

Kathleen Gunther
Editor, ContestHound.com