Tuesday, October 24, 2006

The Road to Hell is Paved with Good Intentions

Ever have one of those moments when you want so much to try and avoid something that in doing so you end up creating a much bigger, messier problem?

It happened yesterday as I gave my son Milo a yogurt shake -- a really yummy one with frozen bananas, blueberries, mangoes, peaches and a cooked beet for added iron and a vibrant, kid-friendly colour. As I handed it to him I also handed him the standard warning not to spill, as it would stain his clothes.

Being the typical 4-year-old that he is, Milo quickly forgot the warning and moments later I caught him just millimetres away from wiping his mouth on his sleeve.

"Oh-oh-oh-oh-oh!" I jumped in, trying to stop the act in progress.

Unfortunately, I startled my purple-moustached friend causing him to drop the cup and all its contents on the floor. Now I had purple shake on my pants, my shoes, Milo's pants, the mat on the floor, the floor, the cupboards on the other side of the kitchen. Everywhere but Milo's shirt sleeve!

As I tried to comfort Milo, upset that he had stained his clothes, I removed his messy pants and socks. And as I did, he wiped his mouth on his sleeve.

Happy sweeping!

Kathleen Gunther
Editor, ContestHound.com