Thursday, October 12, 2006

Say It Ain't So ...

You can always count on a kid to remind you of your age. Here are some examples of how each of my kids has bruised my self-esteem:

My sweet 2 1/2-year-old daughter Willa was exploring my face one day.

"What dat on your lip, Mommy?"
"I don't know," I said. "What does it look like?"
"A eyebrow."

Another day, while sitting on my lap, 4-year-old Milo lifted my shirt up and patted my bare stomach.

"Mommy? Your tummy is full?" he asked.
"No," I replied.
"What happened to it?"

And finally ...

My then 5 1/2-year-old daughter Neva and I were cheek to cheek looking in the mirror, comparing our eye colour.

"They're blue and grey and green, Mommy," she said. "Just like yours."
"Yes, they're exactly the same colour." I replied.
"Except," she added, "mine don't have all those red lines."

So all you mothers out there, join me in declaring to our children: "You did this to me!"

Happy sweeping!

Kathleen Gunther
Editor, ContestHound.com