Thursday, October 26, 2006

What's the Point?

I was trying to figure out a way to teach my three kids the importance of keeping clean, of properly washing their hands and their other parts too.

They stared at me blankly as I was explaining germs and bacteria, molds and viruses when suddenly I had an idea. Why don't we do an experiment?

Off we went in search of a slice of bread, a sealable clear plastic bag and a spray bottle full of water. I wiped the kitchen sink with the bread for effect, sprayed it lightly with some water and finally sealed it in the bag. As we put it in a dark nook out of reach of little hands, I told them we'd take a look at it in a few days to see what, if anything, happened.

Sure enough 72 hours later we had quite the scientific culture growing happily on the bread.

"See, what happens," I said "if we don't keep ourselves clean? So what have we learned?"

"Not to wipe our bums in the sink!" my wife Kathleen replied.

Happy sweeping!

Bob Gunther
Webmaster, ContestHound.com