Thursday, August 18, 2005

Green Thumb? Green Somethin' ...

I have grown a wide assortment of vegetables in our backyard garden for years. And it seems that every summer one of my kids is obsessed with one form of produce or another.

One year, my oldest daughter Neva befriended a potato. It was her new best friend, except she kept losing it and getting a new one which too would end up lost somewhere in the house.

A few summers later, my son Milo's interest in the garden had more to do with digging than with veggies. He had a small front-end loader that he played with, usually between the broccoli plants.

And this year 18-month-old Willa is my newest helper. She especially loves to hide behind the plants and pick green tomatoes. No matter how often I show her the red ones, once I'm out of sight, she goes back to picking 'em green. I love her enthusiasm, she always shouts with glee when she gets one off the vine. I just hope she is as excited about green tomato cake.

Here's the Green Tomato Cake Recipe

Bob Gunther
Webmaster, ContestHound.com

No comments: