Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Silent Movie ...

The other night after dinner, as every evening, we all went
outside to enjoy the warm weather. And, as usual, it was
busy and loud, even if it was just my three kids. So, much
to my husband Bob's chagrin, I left the kids with him and
retreated to the quiet of the kitchen to finish cleaning
up the dishes.

From the kitchen window, I watched as Bob and the kids dug
in the vegetable garden. They'd found a pile of big rocks
and were digging deep to get them all out. Each kid had a
shovel, Bob was using his hands and all of them were filthy.
And they were having a great time.

And I stood there, staring and marvelling at my family.
There was Neva -- independent and confident -- who would
occasionally leave to ride her bike around the house. Milo,
still in his bike helmet, was happily flinging dirt
everywhere, his skinny little arms working hard. And Willa,
the baby, how she's growing! She was shaking her shovel,
eating dirt and sliding into the hole. What a beautiful
scene to behold.

And it was then that I realized, as I watched this silent
movie play through the window, how much more you appreciate
your family when you can't hear them!

Happy sweeping,

Kathleen Gunther
Editor, ContestHound.com

No comments: