Tuesday, January 07, 2003

How Am I Doing?

Hello Everyone.

I received an email today from a ContestHound.com newsletter reader and as we emailed back and forth a few times it got me thinking about how parents need to gauge their success in raising children.

In all the advice books my wife Kathleen and I have read, there is nothing about taking stock of our successes. They deal with ways to maintain one's sanity or resolve problems but none mention how to judge how well you have done. So far, our 3-year-old daughter Neva has yet to experiment with gunpowder on a frog. Should we be patting ourselves on the back? Probably not.

With all the psychological and sociological studies used to determine what is going on with kids today, wouldn't it be nice if someone pointed out that if you see certain developmental achievements you have done well in nurturing and teaching your child.

Now, somewhere along the line I heard that parents won't realize how well we did in raising our children until we see them raising their own. But I'm not that patient ...

Happy sweeping,

Bob Gunther
Webmaster, ContestHound.com