Wednesday, January 01, 2003

Tick Tock ... Tick Tock ...

Hello Everyone.

Editor's Note: Having written over 350 stories we thought we needed a little sabbatical. So, until the end of February, we will be in re-runs. Please enjoy these previously published Neva tales from not so long ago.

Originally Published: February 20, 2002

As adults it seems we are constantly at war with time. We wear watches on our wrists and check them repeatedly in an attempt, perhaps, to justify our hurriedness. Alarms wake us in the morning and we say "Just a minute," and never return. While clichés about time bobble in our minds we keep our frenzied pace.

Neva, my two-year-old daughter has yet to understand the concept of time. For her, time is measured in only two ways: last night and 13 minutes. At bath time, I ask her when she washed her hair last and regardless if it was 10 minutes ago or last week, she answers "Last night, two times!"

And if I ever ask her what time it is, the answer is always 13 minutes. "When does your favorite television show start Neva?" I ask. "Thirteen minutes!" she'll say.

I wonder what would happen if I spent 13 minutes doing nothing, declaring a cease fire in my battle with time. Perhaps I would just sit and think about those funny things Neva did last night ... two times.

Happy sweeping,

Bob Gunther
Webmaster, ContestHound.com