Thursday, January 09, 2003

In the Dark ...

Hello Everyone.

I haven't been a child in quite some time, which may explain why I am at a loss to understand for instance, why my three-year-old daughter Neva runs into my office to tell me that: "I can bend down Daddy."

It is clear by the assertive tone of voice that this is very meaningful to her but its importance is lost on me. I stare at her momentarily, then, choosing my words carefully, I congratulate her on being self aware, all the while wondering what exactly happened inside her head those few minutes before her arrival.

The other night, sometime in the wee hours, Neva woke up briefly, stuck out her tongue and protested: "Yuck, a cloth." A quick drink of water and she was right back to sleep leaving my wife Kathleen and I looking at each other with half worried smiles.

Am I in the dark because I have I not been paying attention? Or is it normal for a child to spontaneously erupt into a dialogue unrelated to anything that adults are wise too? Maybe it's just too much sugar.

Happy sweeping,

Bob Gunther
Webmaster, ContestHound.com